Broccoli is in season! This green vegetable is earthy, slightly bitter when enjoyed fresh, and it complements the flavors of most dishes. Keep scrolling for some of our favorite tasty ideas for cooking broccoli, and don’t forget to use our interactive map to locate where you can find fresh locally grown broccoli at your SNAP-accepting farmers markets.
How to get started
If you have a whole head of broccoli; first, slice the florets (the small tree-like pieces) from the head. Cut larger pieces in half or to desired size. You can also chop the broccoli stalk and use it just the same way in any of the ideas below! To save on prep time, you can find pre-chopped bags of broccoli in the produce and frozen sections of the grocery store.
Simple ways to use broccoli
Here are some of our favorite, easy ideas for adding broccoli to your dinner:
- Roast broccoli for an easy side dish:
- Toss chopped broccoli with 2 tbsp of olive oil and your favorite seasonings right on the baking sheet (less dirty dishes). Roast at 400°F for 20-30 minutes and serve with the rest of your dinner.
- Try our salt-free Chipotle Chili Seasoning!
- Add it to stir-fry:
- Do you have extra veggies in the fridge you need to use? Broccoli, along with whatever other ingredients you may have on hand, is easy to throw in a sauté pan for a quick stir-fry dinner. Add your favorite protein and sauce for an easy weeknight meal.
- Roast or steam, then add to your favorite pasta:
- Add broccoli into marinara or creamy pasta sauce.
- Add to macaroni and cheese.
- Fresh broccoli is delicious in a pasta salad.
- Salad and slaw:
- Finely chop raw broccoli to use in a salad or use in your favorite coleslaw recipe. Here is our favorite broccoli salad to get you started!
- Serve it on a veggie platter:
- Add fresh, chopped broccoli to a platter with your other favorite veggies. Serve with ONIE Ranch Dip for an easy snack or appetizer!
Still hungry for tasty ideas for cooking broccoli? Visit onieproject.org/recipes and use the search bar to find simple recipe ideas that your family will love!
Have another way you love to use broccoli that we missed? Let us know in the comments below!